Monday, September 10, 2012

Cena Trimalchionis by Fellini (1969)

The first time I ran into Trimalchio was back in my second year of Undergraduate in a class on Roman Society. My professor, who liked the more eccentric parts of the Romans, got us to watch Fellini's Satyricon from 1969. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth watching one night that you need a cheap laugh. I found the 'Cena Trimalchionis' with English subtitles on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMakUEn4hs. It is an interesting take on the parts we have been translating.

When I later was invited to give a lecture on Roman dining customs as part of my teaching at my Alma Mater I couldn't resist inflicting Fellini on the first year students to try to spark the same interest that many in my year had shown. Apart from a few finding it 'disturbing' the class seemed to like the humour even if they didn't understand everything. And now I pass that joy onto you guys if you haven't seen it. Be warned there is some nudity and vulgarity but what less would we expect of Trimalchio?

Enjoy!

No comments: