Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Apuleius and the fish (back to the first book)


Apuleius, as Lucius, had some problem when he tried to buy fish. In the Apology he tells us that the charge which the accusers treated as strong support for their accusation was "the matter of the fish". They accused Apuleius to have  purchased and dissected fish for making magic potions. 
This is part of the text in English translation:

beginning with the charge which…they treated from the start as the strongest argument for the suspicion of magic, that I bought some species of fish from fisher men for a price. which of these pertains to magic? that I sought the fish from fisher men? But of course—I should have sought them from a seamstress or a carpenter if I had wanted to avoid your calumniae, and had them change jobs, so the carpenter would catch my fish, and the fisher do my woodwork. But perhaps it was from this that you under stood a crime, that I sought the fish for a price? I do believe if I had wanted them for a party I could have got them for nothing. Why don’t you argue against me from several other purchases? For I have even bought fruits and vegetables and bread and wine(29. 1-5),

 and then....

"But I ask you, is a man a magician for seeking fish? Certainly I do not think so, any more than if I were hunting rabbits, boars, or birds. But perhaps fish have something secret from others, and known to magicians? If you know what it is, you are a magician; if you do not know, you are obliged to confess that you do not know what you are accusing me of" (30. 1–2).

No comments: